Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Random Shoes, or It Begins

How exciting! I got the first piece of Official SCA Garb today - shoes!

Not authentic in the least! But they Look Okay, and they're cheap.

newfu

Kung Fu shoes. Got a pair for me, for Faith and for Abby. I bought them from Natasha's Cafe, in hypocritical fashion because we try* not to buy from China. As soon as I know we're in this for a long haul I'll make our own shoes or purchase some made domestically. Ahem.

Getting this first burst of garb is an expensive endeavor. The great thing about medieval clothing, however, is that it was made to utilize fabric as efficiently as possible. I've found several schematics (not quite patterns) that describe a T tunic by the numbers approach. I have a pretty extensive background in knitting clothing from body measurements, so I'm not afraid to do the same thing with sewn clothes.

I am a little afraid of my sewing machine, which I have never used. It's a Janome Sew Mini, which I'm told is a nice machine to start with. I hope so! I like how tiny and easy to store it is. I'll have to put it away every time I'm done sewing, as leaving it out with the kids around is not an option. Insert mental image of Bede sewing Warner Brothers logos into our clothing.

*for certain values of 'try', apparently.

Natasha's Cafe

T-tunic the period way

Janome Sew Mini

No comments:

Post a Comment