Saturday, January 18, 2014

cloth diaper evangelizing: Blueberry Coveralls

A woman at my church is expecting a baby around the end of February. Being the enthusiast I am, I brought some cloth diapers to co-op to convert her to the Cult of Cloth.

There are many, many kinds of cloth diaper! They all include something absorbent inside and something waterproof outside. Sometimes these are sewn together (called an all in one, or AIO) and sometimes they are separate things (much more variety in this category.) I have used every type of cloth diaper, but my current favorite is  an example of the latter sort: prefolds and covers.

My favorite covers, and the ones I brought to entice my friend, are Blueberry Coveralls.

Here's Dorothy in one. Thanks for helping me wrangle the toddler, Gilbert!



Under the cover (the waterproof part) is an Econobum prefold, folded in thirds (the absorbent part.)

Dorothy weighs about 28 pounds and stands 32.5 inches tall. She's 18 months old, and is on the second rise setting of the cover. Blueberry Coveralls have three rise settings, letting them fit from 10-40 pounds. I'm skeptical that they would fit a 10-pound baby though. I think they'd start around 12 pounds.

This cover in particular is about a year and a half old. I bought it in August of 2012, and it's been in constant rotation since and shows no signs of wear. It has gussets at the leg, so it fits without gapping, and gives a little extra room if you want to put a thicker diaper in it, or add a doubler for night. The coverage in back is great and these diapers have never "blown out." In fact, when I do use a disposable diaper on Dorothy, I put one of these over it just in case (having suffered from a leaky disposable of disastrous proportion in the past.) Nothing gets through these covers!

I have too many, really, because I keep being enticed by the cute prints. But you could easily get by with 6-8 of them, and rotate them through the day. They come in snap and hook-loop close, but I only like the snap. It doesn't wear out, doesn't catch on stuff in the wash or get linty, and doesn't scratch the baby or enable them to escape the diaper easily (the riiiip of Velcro is not a happy noise.)

Care is easy, they wash with the diapers and can either tumble or hang dry. If you hang them they last longer, so that's what I do. I have an awesome drying rack now, but before that I just draped them over the shower rod.

Also, and this is important to me, Blueberry diapers are made in America. There are lots of good diapers made overseas, but there are lots of not-so-good ones too. And these are really great: durable, functional, dependable and CUTE.

So that ends my love song about Blueberry Coveralls.

No comments:

Post a Comment