Thursday, January 16, 2014

I contain multitudes. Or at least, more than 12.

There's this dippy little internet quiz floating around currently. I know, is there any other kind of internet quiz? But this one is published by TIME, which makes it dippy with a vague sense of authority, or something. Anyway, here it is, "Can TIME Predict Your Politics?"

I took it, and let me tell you, those are some dumb questions. That's the point, though; the quiz categorizes your political views based on your views on non-political stuff. Well, mostly. Three of the twelve questions are political, so, 25%. But the other ones are to do with your taste in filmed entertainment and pets, among other topics.

It didn't get me right.


(Apparently my pet preference isn't very telling at the polls.)

It reminds me of the Whitman poem, "Song of Myself" 
(Talk honestly, no one else hears you, and I stay only a minute longer.) 

Do I contradict myself? 
Very well then I contradict myself, 
(I am large, I contain multitudes.) 

I concentrate toward them that are nigh, I wait on the door-slab. 

Who has done his day's work? who will soonest be through with his supper? 
Who wishes to walk with me? 

Will you speak before I am gone? will you prove already too late? 
In the ephemeral world of social media this quiz will be gone before next week, and is almost certainly too late.






No comments:

Post a Comment